Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Putting the Knowledge About Fires in Your Hands
Knowing what causes fires can help you to prevent them!
Knowledge is power! The Threat of Winter Fires is Real and according to FEMA:
- 890 people die in winter home fires each year.
- $2 billion in property loss occurs each year from winter home fires.
- Winter home fires account for only 8 percent of the total number of fires in the U.S., but result in 30 percent of all fire deaths.
- Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
- A heat source too close to combustibles is the leading factor contributing to the start of a winter home fire (15 percent).
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.
- Unattended cooking is the leading factor in home cooking fires.
- Two-thirds of home cooking fires started when food or other cooking materials caught fire.
- Clothing was the item first ignited in less than one percent of these fires, but these incidents accounted for 18 percent of the cooking fire deaths.
- Ranges accounted for the largest share (62 percent) of home cooking fire incidents.
- More than half (55 percent) of reported non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves.
- Frying poses the greatest risk of fire.
- Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires.
Caring for Victims
Victim bags ready to help when disaster happens.
When your home is struck by fire or a major storm you may have only a few minutes to gather belongings and move to safety. For many of us, gathering a few clothes, and the family photo album take priority over a toothbrush or comb.
At SERVPRO of Matteson- Homewood we care about the community, that is why many of our staff carry these emergency bags in our vehicles. Each bag contains a few of the essential personal care items that many people need after a fire or storm disaster. Our hope is that each bag can bring a bit of comfort to the community after a tragedy.
Having your own preparedness bag is very important especially if you live in an area where natural disaster such as tornado can strike. It is also important to remember, only gather personal effects when it is safe to do so: material belongs can be replaced, but a life can not be.
Do you know how important renters insurance is?
We see disasters everyday... and one of the saddest things is when people don't have rental insurance and loose everything. If you have questions about rental insurance you should speak to an agent for more information.
- The landlord's insurance covers your possessions. Don't count on it. Most landlords' insurance covers only the building and damages due to negligence.
- Renters insurance is expensive. In this case, the numbers speak for themselves. The average renters policy costs just $12 a month for up to $30,000 in personal property coverage. That's solid coverage for less than the cost of a couple of cups of coffee a week.
- Still concerned about price? Your insurer will work with you to find the combination of coverage and costs that suits your needs. You might even qualify for a discount by taking some simple home safety precautions or purchasing another policy, such as auto insurance, with the same insurer.
- You don't need insurance if your stuff isn't expensive. Most renters' belongings cost more than they think.
- Think that number is too high? Take a moment to add up the approximate cost of your computer, television, stereo, furniture, jewelry, and clothing. If a fire gutted your apartment tomorrow, would you have the cash to replace it all?
- Renters insurance covers only your possessions. In fact, renters insurance covers much more than just your personal property: The average policy also includes up to $100,000 in liability coverage. That means in the event of a covered loss your insurer will help cover the costs if you're held responsible for injuring another person or damaging another person's property, including your landlord's.
- Renters insurance is hard to get. You can research providers, compare quotes, and even find an agent online.
A community partnership
Breakfast with Santa at Matt Waite's State Farm Office, located in Bradley, IL.
At SERVPRO of Kankakee County we strive to be as actively involved in our local communities as possible. We strongly believe that to be successful you need to do more than just offer a great service to your communities, you need to buy into what is happening and what is important locally.
Over the years we have worked very hard to not only help sponsor events and charity fundraisers but also actively participate in them. If we aren’t trying to help those around us succeed then our success will also be limited, in being a valued community business leader and participant.
The best way to lead is always by example.
Content Cleaning and Storage
SERVPRO Content Storage
At SERVPRO our team of professionals handle your personal belongings with the utmost of care. We clean your items by hand and repack them so they are ready when you move back to your home or business. We also use the Esporta Machine and Ultrasonic Cleaning equipment.
SERVPRO'S Environmentally Friendly Products
SERVPRO Environmentally Friendly Products
SERVPRO wants you to know that we are doing our part to help our Planet. That is why we want you to know about our Green Cleaning Products.
SERVPRO® Industries, Inc. is a member of the EPA’s Design for Environment (EPA/DFE) initiative. As a member company, SERVPRO® can access the listing known formally as CleanGredients. The EPA/DFE has established a set of criteria for formulating environmentally friendly cleaning products. With the assistance of larger chemical companies the EPA/DFE has put together a listing of safe cleaning components that can be used in Green cleaning formulations. From the listing a formulation can be derived that incorporates “green” chemistry. The initiative is designed to allow chemical formulators a resource to formulate environmentally friendly cleaning products using environmentally friendly raw materials.
So next time you see our Green Vehicles, you'll know we are doing our part to sustain our Environment
Why you want SERVPRO as your vendor for Medical Facilities
Infection Control Risk Assessment Certified
Working in Hospitals or other Medical Grade facilities is not a service you want to leave to just any vendor. A job completed incorrectly can open the door to a whole list of legal liabilities, this is WHY you need SERVPRO of Kankakee County.
Certified and accredited by the Linders Health Institute in Infection Control, we will help manage and control the risks that can be associated with this type of work. Protecting your patients, staff, other vendors, and helping your Risk Management Team limit your liability and enhance the Healthcare experience.
Don't wait, call us today!!!!
#Hospital #MedicalFacility #FireDamage #FireRestoration #WaterDamage #WaterMitigation #IICRC #ICRA #Mold #BioCleanUp #SERVPRO #PlanetSERVPRO #SERVPROOfKankakakeeCounty
Document Preservation, Restoration, Conservation, and Recovery
Vacuum Freeze Drying Chamber
When disaster strikes, it usually hits where its hurts the most. Important documents such as books, medical paperwork, legal writings, etc are not spared. Sometimes despite the disaster you still need to retain these materials for legal or personal reason, that is where SERVPRO's Document Recovery and Restoration come in!
Acting quickly is imperative! Should you have important documents that get wet, damaged by smoke, or even a sewer damage, don't wait! CALL US RIGHT AWAY! 815-935-0077
Our highly trained staff of Restoration and Mitigation Professionals will arrive onsite and quickly take steps to limit damage and preserve as much as possible.
Document Restoration Services as follows:
- Drying - process in which an item containing moisture is frozen and dried using vacuums and pressures to achieve sublimation.
- Cleaning - we offer onsite cleaning. This is cleaning each document front and back to remove debris and any surface particulate.
- Sterilization - Gamma Irridation is a process that is used for disinfecting and decontaminating documents or other consumer goods.
- Deodorization - once paper has been wet, an odor can begin to form. Letting us deodorize your documents will reduce the odor and sometimes almost completely eliminate it.
- Destruction - we offer destruction onsite.
- Digitization - digitizing documents makes them easier to access as well as easier to store. We use state-of-the-art equipment to turn your paper copy into a digital file.
SERVPRO of Kankakee County..... Like it never even happened!
#DocumentRestoration #PaperRecovery #PaperConservation #DocumentPreservation #DocumentRecovery #DocumentFreezeDrying #SERVPRO #PlanetSERVPRO #WaterDamage #SmokeDamage #SewerDamage #Mold #BioCleanUp #BoardUp #LargeLoss #CommercialWaterLoss #DisasterRecoveryTeam #SERVPROOfKankakeeCounty #GoodGuysWearGreen #ICRA #MABAS7 #IllinoisLibraryAssociation #Hospitals #MedicalFacilities